Saturday, May 15, 2004

Stanford offers online study

Stanford University's School of Medicine is accepting applicants for a six week study of self-management among sufferers of osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, degenerative arthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.

According to the Stanford website:

Your workshop will be facilitated by two trained moderators, one or both of whom also have arthritis like you. Workshop topics include pain management, exercise, healthy eating, medication use, communication skills, dealing with difficult emotions, treatment decisions, sleep, and problem-solving. You will also share your experiences with your classmates and moderators online, and have an opportunity to both receive and give suggestions and support.

The program includes:

- Techniques to deal with pain, fatigue, frustration and isolation;
- Exercises for impoving strength, flexibility and endurance;
- Appropriate use of medications;
- Making informed treatment decisions.

Unfortunately, I have psoriatic arthritis and the study is only open to US residents so I don't qualify. It sounds like an interesting study that can be beneficial to those who participate in it. I have seen three Rheumotologists - two of which who are the best in the country - and I found while their medical advice is top notch, there is definately a lack of guidance on how to manage my life with arthritis. I find that all the advice I find on the web to be confusing and a bit overwhelming. I know I don't take care of myself as much as I should (and could)but then again, I'm not sure where to begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home